Print this record
There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: C
- Date Added: 03/08/1971
- Local Authority: Dumfries And Galloway
- Planning Authority: Dumfries And Galloway
- Parish: Half Morton
National Grid Reference
- NGRNY 3202 7446
- Coordinates332020, 574460
Probably 1744; 4-bay church, repaired and enlarged circa 1795
(?addition of N jamb); all heightened several masonry
courses, perhaps 1830; renovated 1889. Rubble-built with
ashlar dressings, S elevation and E gable rendered. Splayed
base course to body of church. 4 pointed windows (?1889) to
long S wall and eaves moulding; gabled porch at E with iron
cresting, shouldered S-facing door; vestry adjoins W gable.
Unusual birdcage belfry (?1889) over E gable. Roofed with
graded slates. Boiler room in NW re-entrant angle demolished
circa 1985 exposing blocked square-headed window on jamb W
wall; N gable window of jamb originally a door.
Interior: plaster-vaulted roof; panelled timber pulpit
central on long S wall.
CHURCHYARD: quadrangular enclosure, with rubble-built partly ashlar-coped walls, extended to S in 20th century; plain
gatepiers (wrought-iron gates) and stile at E. Mostly 18th
and 19th century stone monuments, some with classical
Statement of Special Interest
Ecclesiastical building in use as such. FASTII ECCLESSIAE
SCOTICANAE states that the church was "rebuilt about 1703",
but no primary source is quoted either by Fastii or by Groome
or Hay. OSA report (Langholm) states that "It is soon ....
to be repaired and enlarged".
Change of Category B to C(S) 30.9.87
George Hay, ARCHITECTURE OF SCOTTISH POST-REFORMATION
CHURCHES, 1957 p 254; SRO. HR 540/1 (includes 1889 seating
plan); Groome, GAZETTEER n.d. 2nd ed vol III p 241; OLD
STATISTICAL ACCOUNT, vol XIII p 593.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.