This website uses cookies. Find out more.OK

Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.


Status: Designated


Print this record

There are no additional online documents for this record.


  • Category: B
  • Date Added: 26/07/1986
  • Last Date Amended: 02/07/2003


  • Local Authority: Dumfries And Galloway
  • Planning Authority: Dumfries And Galloway
  • Parish: Holywood

National Grid Reference

  • NGRNX 92160 80028
  • Coordinates292160, 580028


Circa 1830 2-storey Jacobean-style mansion with late 19th additions and alterations, including 2 3-storey north-facing bays with shaped gables and tall end stacks with vertical strips. All built of red ashlar. Advanced and recessed bays, mostly gabled with gabletted skews, shaped skewputts, paired slits in gable heads; mostly mullioned windows, some canted, some transomed, some hood-moulded, some in projecting bays. North elevation: oriel above square porch in boldly advanced bay, low projecting bay to right of latter added early 20th

century stacks above clasping angle strips of left bay; lower, 2-storey service range to right. 2 canted windows to

east elevation; some mullions removed on south elevation. Corniced stacks, mostly with octagonal flues; all roofed with graded slates.

INTERIOR: some panelled doors in corniced doorcases; some marble chimney pieces: one chimney piece, with bronze panel inserted late 19th century; mostly simple plasterwork; stair with twisted wooden balusters.

GATEPIERS AND QUADRANT WALLS: probably circa 1885. Red (pink) sandstone ashlar pair of panelled and corniced gatepiers flanking drive with lower buttressing piers flanking with console bracket uniting. Main piers with gadrooned urns of fruit.

Statement of Special Interest

Used for a time as a hospital. Presumably built for Francis Maxwell who purchased Gribton estate in 1827. Now sub-divided. The owner (1989) noted that the gatepiers contain the monogram 'HL', the initials of Henry Lamont who owned the house from 1877-1910. The urns became detached at some point but were restored circa 1990. Principal Gatepiers and Quadrant Walls listed 2.7.03.



NEW STATISTICAL ACCOUNT p560 1949 survey plans by M Purdon Smith held by Sutherland

Dickie & Copeland, Dumfries. Information courtesy of owner 1989.

About Designations

Listed Buildings

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the, Annex 2, pp74-76.

The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see

Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at