Built 1779. T-plan church with central tall 3-stage square
tower on long south wall. Repaired and renovated 1845 and
1864-5. Coursed and squared red rubble with ashlar
dressings. South elevation: tower has square-headed openings,
lower stage originally with door at ground, now blocked, 1
window above; 2 openings vertically arranged in 2nd stage;
forestair in re-entrant angle; top stage (possibly 1864-5)
has louvred belfry opening with central column to each face,
and pierced parapet: 2 tall, round-arched and keystoned
windows either side of tower gabled porch on east and west
flanks: 2-bay jamb (with late 19th century addition) has
round-headed gallery windows above 12-pane sashes. Piended
roofs with graded slates. Interior: gallery sealed up to form
hall; organ with carved case; flat ceiling, with roof timbers
on brackets; acorn light hanging.
Irregular-plan churchyard enclosure, rubble-built
ashlar-coped walls; gate to west, 2 octagonal rusticated
ashlar gatepiers, hearse-house alongside, and stile. Some
good 18th and 19th century stone monuments: Classical
mausoleum at north west built of ashlar with stone slab roof,
door with battered jambs central on pedimented east gable,
pilasters divide bays: Renaissance-style Johnstone of Cowhill
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.