Print this record
There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: B
- Date Added: 03/08/1971
- Local Authority: Dumfries And Galloway
- Planning Authority: Dumfries And Galloway
- Parish: Kirkmahoe
National Grid Reference
- NGRNX 96052 84277
- Coordinates296052, 584277
All probably circa 1798. 2-storey 3-bay manse now linked to
(restord) Cameronian chapel. All whitewashed, rubble with
red ashlar margins. Manse: panelled door with ogee glazed
fanlight in round-arched and moulded central doorway; plain
Venetian ground floor windows in outer bays; sashes with
12-pane glazing at 1st floor; straight skews; end stacks;
full-height rear wing.
Chapel: restored from ruinous condition by Anthony Curtis
Wolfe, 1969 - now forms library; irregular octagon-plan with
facetted roof; 3 tall round-headed windows to south (inner
window originally a door; square-headed window to east;
blocked door, 2 12-pane sashes and wall-head stack to north.
All roofs slated.
Statement of Special Interest
No longer in Ecclesiastical use. Photograph of chapel, minus
roof, in Russel BOOK OF DUMFRIESSHIRE, 1964. opp. p.239.
Information from owner.
G Hay, ARCHITECTURE OF SCOTTISH POST-REFORMATION CHURCHES,
1957. pp.96, 254
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.