Print this record
There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: B
- Date Added: 03/08/1971
- Local Authority: Dumfries And Galloway
- Planning Authority: Dumfries And Galloway
- Parish: Kirkmahoe
National Grid Reference
- NGRNX 94331 84087
- Coordinates294331, 584087
Built circa 1785, additions and alterations circa 1920.
Symmetrical, originally severely classical, 3-storey mansion
house with sunk basement: polished red ashlar, channelled at
basement. Original house: 5-bay south elevation with
architraved windows corniced at ground, curved 5-light
window replaced original central porch, north elevation with
full-height central bow; west elevation: 5 narrower bays
with platt spanning basement area. Additions to east comprise full-height narrow bay set back at north and south with
windows in tall panels and projecting entrance bay set into
east facade with channelled pilaster strips, large round-
arched mullioned and transomed window over east-facing
Doric-columned and open-pedimented doorpiece: panelled 2-leaf
door in cavetto reveals. Mutule cornice to all elevations; partly-balustraded parapet; symmetrically placed stacks;
shallow-pitched piended slate roof.
Curved basement area to east enclosed by cast-iron
balustrade; tunnel at north east below main drive.
Statement of Special Interest
Built for Patrick Miller, inventor of steam navigation. A
print published 1792 in the Ewart Library, Dumfries shows the
house without the roof parapet, although early 20th century
postcards show the parapet to have been added before the
house was extended. The house, and some of the estate
buildings may be by Alexander Nasmyth who was a close friend
of Millar's; Nasmyth's son, Patrick, may have been called
after Millar (for more on this see NASMYTH EXHIBITION
CATALOGUE, St Andrews 1979 - copy in NMRS).
OLD STATISTICAL ACCOUNT vol II p. 32. P Gray, DUMFRIESSHIRE
ILLUSTRATED vol I, 1894, (illus. opp p.38)
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.