Dated 1759 on north wing. Palladian mansion house; 2 storeys
on raised basement with flanking wings. All red ashlar.
House: 3-bay east elevation with early 19th century central
pilastered porch (panelled and studded door in pedimented
doorpiece), flanked by 12-pane sashes in architraves, latter
corniced, with pulvinated frieze; 3 Burlington windows in
round-arched panels at principal floor. Ionic-columned jambs
on plinths; latter probably terminated blind balustrades;
square, architraved windows above (6-pane sashes). Continuous
bands at base and at ground floor level; mutule cornice;
blocking course; 2 symmetrically placed stacks; piended
slate roof. Single window at each level of flanks;
linked by cornice); piended roofs, with graded slates. Low
alterations and fire escapes to rear above, narrow lean-to
service corridor linking wings. Piended, 2-storey wings each
have single bay east front (12-pane sashes), and are linked
to house by quadrant wall with corniced, architraved and
panelled door between alcove niches; inner part of north
wing is earlier. 18th century house, rendered, with advanced
inner bays (gabled on north elevation) and 5-bay south
front. Modern additions to north and to south of wings.
Interior: some decorative ceiling plasterwork of late 18th/
early 19th century, especially in halls and ground floor
rooms: plain top floor rooms. Modern lift shaft in stair
well obscures most of former anthemion-patterned silhouette
balusters. Some painted raised and fielded wooden panelling
survives in earlier house.
Statement of Special Interest
Now a home run by the Leonard Cheshire Organisation.
Built for Alexander Johnstone of Carnsalloch. He is
described in the sasines as a chemist in London, so it may
be that a London architect was employed, and perhaps Isaac
Ware, whose 1756 publication included design of a "House built
for Alexander Johnstone, Esq, in Scotland" (a more expensive
scheme which was probably never done) (see H Colvin,
BIOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY OF BRITISH ARCHITECTS,
1600-1840, 1978, (p866)
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.