Print this record
There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: B
- Date Added: 03/08/1971
- Local Authority: Dumfries And Galloway
- Planning Authority: Dumfries And Galloway
- Parish: Kirkmichael (Dumf & Galloway)
National Grid Reference
- NGRNY 484 88349
- Coordinates300484, 588349
Built 1814. Simple, T-plan church. Rubble-built with red ashlar dressings. Round-headed openings; 4 windows on long east wall, door on north flank has fanlight with intersecting tracery. Off-centre later small square porch on
west gable beside gabled vestry: birdcage apex belfry above.
Eaves course; moulded eaves cornice; roofed with graded slates: (body of church is piended) apex ventilators.
Interior: pews with raised and fielded panelled backs; gallery on west jamb; hexagonal pulpit on east wall with
pedimented backboard, flanking stained glass windows c.1862 (Christ stilling the storm and Christ as the good shepherd; one other stained glass window dated 1934 (Our lady flanked by Faith and Hope). Irregular-plan churchyard, rubble-built ashlar coped walls, gate on north wall, beside stile, pyramidal caps at gatepiers. Some good 17th-19th century stone monuments including Stewart monument (urn-finialed Doric shaft on square base) and Scott family enclosure (Gothic mural monument with arcaded inscription panels).
Statement of Special Interest
Ecclesiastical building in use as such. Possibly designed by John MacCracken of Dumfries who inspected the old church and made recommendations.
SRO CH2 247/14 pp/106 and 137 (minutes of meeting to discuss state of church in 1814 not filled in) MEMORIALS OF KIRKMICHAEL PARISH (copy in Ewart Library, Dumfries), John Gifford, BUILDINGS OF SCOTLAND: DUMFRIES AND GALLOWAY (1996), p.389
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.