Early 19th century. 2-storey, 3-bay, rectangular-plan Classical villa with U-plan stable range attached to NW (dated 1814). Harled and painted with ashlar margins and dressings. Base course; eaves cornice and blocking course (on which eaves sit with moulded guttering); quoin strips.
S (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: 3 bays, entrance bay advanced, chamfered corners; later columned and pedimented shallow porch; modern door, fanlight with border glazing; windows at ground and 1st floor of returns. Symmetrical flanking bays.
E ELEVATION: 4-bays near-symmetrically disposed, modern conservatory advanced at penultimate left.
W ELEVATION: 4 bays near-symmetrically disposed; windows to outer left smaller; square slate-hung dormer at centre.
12-pane uPVC windows in sash and case arrangement; replacement top-hung windows. Grey slate piend and platform roof; coped ridge stacks, circular cans.
INTERIOR: not seen 1994.
STABLE RANGE WITH GATEPIERS AND RAILINGS: dated 1814. Quadrangular-plan stable block attached to house at NE; partly converted to domestic use in W block; entrance at SE. Harled with ashlar base course, painted ashlar margins. Painted harl with painted ashlar margins and dressings; base course.
S RANGE: long blank range with segmental-arched carriage door to right, 2-leaf boarded door, keystone with initials JG EC 1814, 5 flight-holes with ledge; uPVC window to right.
W RANGE: 6 bay range. 3 basket-arched carriage openings to outer left, pend door to right with 2 windows to outer right (16-pane timber sash and case windows).
N RANGE: piend-roofed block. 5-bay symmetrical S elevation, door at centre, flanking windows (uPVC top-hung window).
16-pane sash and case windows; uPVC windows. Grey slate roof, lead flashings.
GATEPIERS AND RAILINGS: paired round-headed gatepiers, chamfered arrises. Cast-iron arrowhead railings and gates.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.