This website uses cookies. Find out more.OK

Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.


Status: Designated


Print this record

There are no additional online documents for this record.


  • Category: B
  • Date Added: 14/05/1971


  • Local Authority: Argyll And Bute
  • Planning Authority: Argyll And Bute
  • Parish: Cardross

National Grid Reference

  • NGRNS 31714 78572
  • Coordinates231714, 678572


1806 encasing of earlier house. 2-storey, 5-bay, T-plan house. Stucco with painted ashlar margins and dressings; eaves band; quoin strips; blocking course.

S (MAIN) ELEVATION: round tower at centre, crenellated parapet; door framed by bowed applied paired pilasters and entablature; 2-leaf panelled doors, large sunburst fanlight; tripartite window at 1st floor, Diocletian window at upper level, blind sidelights. Flanking bays slightly advanced, broad windows; broad bay to outer right and left; tripartite window at ground, Diocletian window above; blind sidelights.

W ELEVATION: 2 bays symmetrically disposed; 2 blind doors at ground, upper windows symmetrically disposed, 8-pane casement window to right.

E ELEVATION: 2 bays, blind doors at ground, windows symmetrically disposed at 1st floor.

N (REAR) ELEVATION: piend-roofed projecting wing at centre; tripartite window at ground, Diocletian window above. Lean-to infills in re-entrant angles masking link bays at ground to outer bays with tripartite window at ground, Diocletian window above

12-pane sash and case windows; 3-pane over 6-pane sash and case windows at 1st floor. Grey slate piend and platform roof, lead flashings. Broad coped ridge stacks.

INTERIOR: not seen 1995.

OBSERVATORY: early 19th century; located to N of house at end of former planned path; ruinous telescope tower of circular plan; centre tower with encircling wall. Red sandstone; joist sockets on external face of outer wall at ground, possibly originally wooden viewing platform at ground level. 3 concentric circles with central narrow tower, stone spiral stair to upper viewing room.

CIRCULAR BUILDING: low, circular-plan building on cliff top near edge to W of house; in line with roof of tall tower at base of cliff (listed separately). Original function unknown, horse-mill plan, now store. Rubble with harl-pointing; small rectangular windows regularly disposed directly below eaves, 1 blocked, remaining windows with modern glazing. Large modern boarded garage door on SE elevation to path. Small rectangular-plan opening above cliff edge (drainage outlet).

Deep grey slate conical roof, lead finial.

Statement of Special Interest

There was a house on Ardmore point from the mid 17th century shown on Bleau?s map of 1654 and also on General Roy?s military map circa 1750 as a house within a pale. In 1798 Ardmore was sold by the Noble family to General Geils. The Noble family returned to the estate circa 1890. The present house dates from the early 19th century, but likely encases part of the earlier house. The planned landscape features were laid out by General Thomas Geils at the end of the 18th century. The observatory tower is in a ruinous state. It is identified as Ardmore observatory on the map of the Clyde, 1842 and in the 19th century local newspapers reported the weather conditions from Ardmore. The exact function of the cliff-top circular store is not known. It may have some relation to the earlier tower at the base of the cliff, and may have had a function as a watch tower. This earlier tower is listed separately and is a scheduled monument. The picturesque landscape of Ardmore is important. The remains of the former flower and vegetable gardens at the base of the cliff can be traced. The lawn to the N is laid out as a bowling green and is shown as such on the OS 1st edition. The E lodge and stable block are listed separately. Ardmore estate is a nature reserve of the Scottish Wildlife Trust.



F A Walker and F Sinclair NORTH CLYDE ESTUARY (1992) pp63-64. Arthur

F Jones CARDROSS THE VILLAGE IN DAYS GONE BY (1985) p86. W C Maughan ANNALS OF GARELOCHSIDE (1896). F H Groome ORDNANCE GAZETTEER OF SCOTLAND (1897) Vol I, p65. OS 1st edition 1854. Map of Clyde 1842 D-TC/13/693 (Mitchell Library Glasgow). Preliminary Survey notes of Inventory of Gardens and Designed Landscape in Scotland, C Kernan.

OS 1st, 2nd editions 1854, 1893.

About Designations

Listed Buildings

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the, Annex 2, pp74-76.

The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see

Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at