Print this record
There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: B
- Date Added: 14/05/1971
- Local Authority: Argyll And Bute
- Planning Authority: Argyll And Bute
- Parish: Cardross
National Grid Reference
- NGRNS 32971 79775
- Coordinates232971, 679775
Circa 1815. 3-storey over raised basement, 3-bay, rectangular-plan Classical house. Stucco. Broad pilaster quoin; blocking course; eaves band; string course; raised cills.
SW (MAIN) ELEVATION: 3-bay symmetrical block; centre pedimented block slightly advanced; columned porch, paired columns; partially enclosed by cast-iron railings at sides. Later 19th century insertion of bowed etched glass entrance screen. Tripartite windows at centre 1st and 2nd floor. Flanking symmetrical bays; windows at ground in arched recesses. Basement slightly advanced; stugged stone, now painted; segmental-arched windows, barred.
NW ELEVATION: symmetrical 2-bay main block to outer right with lower 2-bay block to left. Later canted window to outer left bridging basement, battered support; gabled dormer at centre.
SE ELEVATION: symmetrical 2-bay block to outer left, lower 2-bay block to right, canted window bridging basement on ashlar support.
NE (REAR) ELEVATION: 3-bay, near-symmetrical block advanced at centre; round-headed stair window at centre 1st floor, flanked by 12-pane sash and case windows; attic window below eaves to left, window to outer left and right. Recessed outer bays, gabled dormer breaking eaves.
12-pane timber sash and case windows. Grey slate piend roof with lead flashings; rear block piend and platform roof. Broad corniced ridge stacks.
INTERIOR: not seen 1995
WALLED GARDENS: Early 19th century with some earlier 20th century additions. D-plan to SE of house. Main entrance in NW wall; droved margin, 1816 datestone. Wall higher to NW, large lean-to greenhouse against S-facing wall. Early 19th century sundial. Some earlier 20th century alterations to garden.
VEGETABLE GARDEN: earlier 19th century walled garden to N behind main garden with earlier 20th century alterations. Rubble wall with slab coping, buttresses against rear wall. Earlier 20th century rubble gateway, stepped wallhead, voussoirs exposed; inscribed "pax int antiuos"; cast-iron gate. Some ruinous greenhouses; lean-to and free-standing. Earlier 20th century pedestrian gate treated similar to main gate.
GATES, GATEPIERS AND QUADRANT WALLS: ashlar panelled gatepiers, corniced, block caps; flanking pedestrian gates. Low quadrant walls with slab coping; terminal piers.
Statement of Special Interest
The house was built for Alexander Dunlop in 1820, although an earlier house had existed on the site. The walled garden may relate to this earlier house. The dining room of Keppoch House is lined with the later 18th century timber panelling from St Anne's Church, Belfast. This was installed by Montagu MW Baird, a subsequent owner, in commemoration of his parents, Hugh Baird and Margaret Ferguson, who were married at St Anne?s in 1836.
F A Walker and F Sinclair NORTH CLYDE ESTUARY (1992), p64. Arthur F Jones THE VILLAGE IN DAYS GONE BY (1985), p80.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.