From 1766 with earlier and mid 19th century additions and alterations. 2-storey, asymmetrical, rambling-plan house forming approximate L-plan with mid 19th single storey block to outer right. Harled and cement rendered.
SINGLE STOREY BLOCK NW (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: crowstepped, finialled gabled entrance porch advanced off-centre to left, moulded door surround, narrow flanking window. Half-piend roofed block advanced to outer right, 3 narrow, closely spaced windows; lean-to block in outer left corner. Long axis of main house advanced to outer left.
2-STOREY RANGE SW ELEVATION: long axis; smooth cement harl. Later 18th century 2-storey, 3-bay house to right with later, taller 2-bay block to left. Older house with 3 broadly-spaced, symmetrically disposed bays, door at centre ground, now blocked as window. 1st floor windows directly below eaves. 2, 8-pane cast-iron rooflights. Taller 2-bay block, bays symmetrically disposed, inner ground floor window blocked as smaller window.
NW ELEVATION: balustraded screen wall enclosing courtyard, segmental- headed archway at centre, modern boarded door; flanking segmental- headed openings, that to left blind, keystones. 2-storey house behind with crowstepped gables flanking narrow centre bay, blocked openings in right gable.
SE ELEVATION: 7 bays asymmetrically disposed; blank bay at centre, gablet breaking eaves, tall coped wallhead stack; closely flanking barred windows; window to outer right. 3 closely spaced bays to outer left, window, blank outer bays, gablet breaking eaves with wallhead stack.
NE ELEVATION: 2-storey block to outer right, 4 windows symmetrically disposed. Infill rubble wall to left, blank rubble gable; bipartite at ground, 2 closely spaced bipartites at 1st floor on left return. End wall of single storey block to outer left, windows with gablet breaking eaves, stack at centre.
8-pane, 12-pane sash and case windows; 9-pane cast-iron rooflights. Grey slate roof, lead flashings; moulded cement roof ridging. Tall, coped wallhead stacks on single storey block, circular cans. Cement-rendered, coped, ridge and gablehead stacks on main block.
INTERIOR: 6-panelled door with 10-pane fanlight leads into long corridor running NE-SW. Square vestibule, large door framed by consoles; 3 pilaster flanked keystoned niches above door; drawing room with plain chimneypieces; basket-arched, pilaster-flanked and keystoned recesses. 6-panelled doors, niches above; plain cornices and plasterwork. 2-storey house with low ceilinged rooms.
WALLED GARDEN: dated 1797. Large walled garden laid out to NE of house. Rubble wall with harl-pointing, slab coping. Large lean-to 19th century green house against N wall; Makenzie and Moncur. Half-piend-roofed storage shed in NW corner; masking former arched window, datestone 1797, now infilled with wooden casement window, overlooks weirs of coursed burn outside walls which collects in pond. Cannons in garden. Small woodland walk to S of house, well, droved ashlar round-headed wallhead inscribed 10th March 1863 ITG and HEG.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.