This website uses cookies. Find out more.OK

Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.


Status: Designated


Print this record

There are no additional online documents for this record.


  • Category: A
  • Date Added: 05/10/1971


  • Local Authority: Perth And Kinross
  • Planning Authority: Perth And Kinross
  • Parish: Kenmore

National Grid Reference

  • NGRNN 78440 46523
  • Coordinates278440, 746523


Gothic, mainly chlorite-slate ashlar. Main block 4-storey with circular angle towers of 5-storeys, central staircase and lantern: 2-storey east wing; west wing partly stuccoed brickwork 2-storey, S. part 3-storey ashlar. Battlemented throughout.

Building history:- Main block of old Ballock Castle demolished. 1799 leaving flanking 2-storey wings of c. 1733 by Wm. Adam standing.

1806 main block begun James and Archibald Elliot archts, cloisters and main building completed 1808.

Staircase wholly designed and executed by Francis Bernasconi who also did the plasterwork of drawing rooms 1809-12: painted by Cornelius Dixon 1813. East wing pulled down and new east wing built 1818-19 and further extended by 1823, Wm. Atkinson, architect. 2-storey additions of stuccoed brickwork and crenellated parapet to west wing, 1825, also by Atkinson. Alterations to west wing, Queen's Rooms, Library, probably Library corridor, cast-iron external staircase and great dining hall and further storey, new battlements, ashlar casing added to Adam wing, J. Gillespie Graham archt. 1838-42 with interior work by A.W.N. Pugin. Drawing room and other ceilings by J.G. Grace from Pugin designs, finest of their period in UK.

Statement of Special Interest

Ground floor perhaps Paterson's work at least in part as the walls were built with a considerable batter and obviously not intended to have the present cloisters applied against them. Prior to Paterson, Robert Mylne had prepared plans for a new 'chateau' in 1789 but nothing was done though he did design and build a bridge 'for new road' the following year. Exceptionally spectacular and complete group of large country house and ancillaries.



Neale, Seats.

N.S.A. v. X p.468-9.

Gillies (ills)


Breadalbane Correspondence per A.J. Rowan, Esq. (Gillies contains the best published description.) The Breadalbane correspondence shows that several of the published descriptions of the castle are inaccurate: the work of 1838 is frequently ascribed to Bryce (1842).

About Designations

Listed Buildings

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the, Annex 2, pp74-76.

The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see

Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at