Print this record
There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: B
- Date Added: 13/08/1971
- Local Authority: Shetland Islands
- Planning Authority: Shetland Islands
- Parish: Lerwick
National Grid Reference
- NGRHU 42847 35447
- Coordinates442847, 1135447
John Davidson and Thomas Macfarlane, 1828-9. 4-bay T-plan symmetrical Parliamentary style church on site sloping to E. Harled walls with stugged and droved sandstone ashlar margins. Eaves course. 4-centred arched windows with modern timber tracery and glazing, and projecting, sloping cills.
E (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical, windows flanking centre, 2-leaf vertically boarded timber doors in 3-centred arched openings in bays to outer left and right.
S ELEVATION: neo-classical concrete war memorial at ground to right, single pointed-arched window rising into gablehead surmounted by stugged sandstone bellcote on square plinth.
W (REAR) ELEVATION: rear wing with blank gable advanced at centre; enclosure of circa 1910 in re entrant at left comprised of decorative gothic cast iron railing on concrete dwarf wall.
N ELEVATION: window rising into gablehead surmounted by stone cross.
Modern slate roof with sandstone ashlar skew copes.
INTERIOR: flagged entrance porches to N and S; 6-panel doors leading to vestibules behind vertically boarded timber screens with trefoil cresting. Pointed arched vertically boarded timber doors accessing hall; timber fittings including horizontally boarded wainscoting, pews, pew lined enclosure to panelled semi octagonal pulpit centring E wall with pilastered back rising to octagonal corniced canopy. Roll moulded cornice with coved plain plaster ceiling above.
KIRKYARD WALL AND GATEPIERS: rubble wall enclosing rectangular kirkyard; stugged sandstone square gatepiers with modern timber gates to E and W of S wall.
Statement of Special Interest
Quarff was disjoined from Bressay and annexed to Lerwick Parish in 1891. This closely resembles one of the 42 standard T-plan Telford churches provided by an Act of Parliament of 1823 to meet deficiencies in the Highlands and Islands, but is in fact by Davidson and Macfarlane to Telford's design and as of additional interest as such.
John Gifford HIGHLANDS AND ISLANDS (1992) p503. Mike Finnie SHETLAND (1990) p44.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.