Print this record
There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: C
- Date Added: 08/09/1980
- Local Authority: Argyll And Bute
- Planning Authority: Argyll And Bute
- Parish: Cardross
National Grid Reference
- NGRNS 34972 77267
- Coordinates234972, 677267
Earlier 19th century with later alterations by James Honeyman 1869-70; further alterations, 1897. 2-storey gabled Tudorbethan manse; rectangular-plan. Stugged, squared and snecked sandstone, ashlar margins and dressings. Base course; eaves course;
SE (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: 4 bays asymmetrically disposed; advanced gable in penultimate bay to right forming 3-bay L-plan elevation with 4th slightly advanced piend-roofed bay to outer right. Blank outer left bay, blind arrowslit at ground, corbelled wallhead stack breaking eaves. Gabled porch in re-entrant angle to left of centre (advanced beyond gable to right) with Tudor-arched entrance, panelled door, carved ribbon in gablehead; Tudor-arched window on left return; ashlar coping to skews and skewputts. Narrow window at 1st floor above. Broad gable to right, broader window at ground, window at 1st floor; window to both floors of bay to outer right.
SW ELEVATION: 2-bay, near-symmetrically disposed M-gable; gabled single storey block recessed on side elevation on left. Full-height canted wing, blocking course at centre of right gable. Gable to left, slightly projecting bipartite at ground, stepped blocking course, window at 1st floor.
NW ELEVATION: rubble, single storey gabled wing off-centre to right at ground, window on right return. 2 windows at 1st floor to left of centre, window at ground outer left.
NE ELEVATION: harled and wet dash; single storey wing.
Plate glass timber sash and case windows on SW elevation; 4-pane over 8-lying-pane timber sash and case windows on entrance and other elevations. Grey slate roofs, ashlar coping to skews and skewputts; ashlar coped wallhead stacks.
BOUNDARY WALLS, GATES AND GATEPIERS: sandstone gatepiers, stop- chamfered arrises, pyramidal caps; pedestrian gate to outer left; cast-iron gates. Curved stugged sandstone walls with ashlar saddleback coping.
Statement of Special Interest
An earlier manse had existed on the site dating from 1733. It is likely that the manse was completely rebuilt by Rev William Dunn after 1838. In 1869 James Honeyman carried out improvements to the adjacent church and manse. The adjacent former parish church, and the present parish church on Station Road are listed separately.
Arthur F JONES CARDROSS, THE VILLAGE IN DAYS GONE BY (1985), p14.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.