Print this record
There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: B
- Date Added: 14/05/1971
- Local Authority: Argyll And Bute
- Planning Authority: Argyll And Bute
- Parish: Cardross
National Grid Reference
- NGRNS 36479 76257
- Coordinates236479, 676257
Circa 1780 with mid 19th century tower addition and alterations. Single storey symmetrical entrance front with 2-stage tower, 2-storey at rear. Painted stucco with painted ashlar margins and dressings. Base course to front. Architraved openings at ground.
SW (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: 2-stage low square entrance tower at centre splayed wings. Tower with round-arched entrance at ground, moulding, roundel moulding in squinches; tripartite half-glazed door slightly recessed; tripartite window at upper stage; piended roof, weathervane finial. Bipartite window at ground and 1st floor of returns. Flanking bays, windows on each elevation splayed half-piended corner bays.
SE ELEVATION: single storey range attached to 2-storey, 4-bay block. French door at ground to outer left, large, fixed 12-pane fanlight above; 2 brass plaques in blank bay to right; inscribed "presented to Don Roberto from the Argentinian government", lower plaque dated 1937, upper from 1975; windows in bay to outer right symmetrically disposed. Windows symmetrically disposed at 1st floor, blank bay at penultimate right.
Plate glass timber sash and case windows, 12-pane sash and case window on 2-storey block at rear.
INTERIOR: not seen 1994.
GARDEN WALL: red brick wall to E of house, brick buttresses at regular intervals; ashlar slab coping.
BOUNDARY WALL AND GATEPIERS: ashlar gatepiers with stop-chamfered arrises, pyramidal caps. Rubble wall with harl-pointing, ashlar slab coping.
Statement of Special Interest
Robert Cunninghame Graham of Gartmore acquired estate in 1770 and built Ardoch Cottage a Georgian Colonial style cottage with splayed wings. The central tower is a later addition. Not to be confused with Ardoch House, which has been demolished.
F A Walker and F Sinclair NORTH CLYDE ESTUARY (1992) p64. Scottish Field November 1970, pp32-35.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.