Print this record
There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: A
- Date Added: 20/07/1972
- Local Authority: Dumfries And Galloway
- Planning Authority: Dumfries And Galloway
- Parish: Leswalt
National Grid Reference
- NGRNW 97353 63241
- Coordinates197353, 563241
1547-1570. Ruined L-plan tower house. 3-storey and attic. Rubble; some sandstone dressings. Remains of dressed margins to some openings. Crowstepped; crowsteps built of small stones covered over with slate-like slab.
L-plan to S. Doorway to S in re-entrant angle into E jamb; rubble double arch over. Square sandstone plaque inscribed "G A 1547" to E return of re-entrant; relieving arch above. Corbelled bartizan, with 3 small windows, to SW angle. Various window openings. Remains of crowsteps to gables. Turnpike stair in E jamb. Barrel-vaulted chamber at ground floor; narrow windows to N and S; 2 small aumbries at E and
W angles. Single apartment at 1st floor; small turnpike staircase
at SE angle, corbelled out over INTERIOR angle, formerly leading to 2 upper floors; fireplace to E at 1st floor; 2 aumbries to N and 1 to SW.
Rubble wall enclosing ground around castle.
Statement of Special Interest
Scheduled Monument. Galdenoch Castle is said to have been built by Gilbert Agnew, the second son of Andrew Agnew of Lochnaw, sometime between 1547 and 1570. The style of the crowsteps is peculiar to Galloway.
P H M'Kerlie HISTORY OF THE LANDS AND THEIR OWNERS IN GALLOWAY Vol I (1870) pp115-116. D MacGibbon and T Ross THE CASTELLATED AND DOMESTIC ARCHITECTURE OF SCOTLAND Vol III (1889) pp506-507. A Agnew THE HEREDITARY SHERIFFS OF GALLOWAY Vol II (1893) pp164-167. F H Groome (ed) ORDNANCE GAZETTEER OF SCOTLAND Vol IV (1895) p502. RCAHMS INVENTORY Wigtown (1912) pp67-68. C H Dick HIGHWAYS AND BYWAYS IN GALLOWAY AND CARRICK (1916) pp349-350. THIRD STATISTICAL ACCOUNT Vol 14 (1965) pp482-483. C J O'Neill "The Ghost of Galdenoch" THE
SCOTS MAGAZINE August 1984, pp539-541.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.