Print this record
There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: A
- Group Category Details: A
- 19, 20, 22
- Date Added: 05/02/1971
- Local Authority: East Lothian
- Planning Authority: East Lothian
- Parish: Prestonkirk
National Grid Reference
- NGRNT 59810 77228
- Coordinates359810, 677228
Mid 18th century, S facing 2-storey farmhouse, re-
orientated with additions as L-plan in early-mid 19th
century. White painted harling, ashlar dressings.
E ELEVATION: entrance front; steps to raised ground
floor semi-circular arched-doorway to centre with large
decorative fanlight and 4-pane side panels; flush
panelled door. Later canted bay windows flanking,
extending to basement.
Recessed 2-bay extension to right, tall windows; with
iron bars at ground.
S ELEVATION: 18th century centre block; 6-bay, door to
3rd bay from left, small windows flanking at ground,
6 windows at 1st floor. 2 taller 2-bay piend-roofed end
wings added circa 1800; 2 windows at ground floor, 2
taller windows to 1st floor. 2 windows at ground on W
re-entrant angle; entrance front to E.
N ELEVATION: irregular service additions of various
heights; irregular window pattern. Sash and case windows
with 12-pane glazing pattern.
Piend roofs, grey slates, ashlar coped wallhead and
ridge stacks; some renewed in brick.
INTERIOR: Some original woodwork and plasterwork.
Statement of Special Interest
Countess of Aberdeen sold Phantassie estate to
George Rennie in 1785. Rennie erected lime kilns soon
after. Houston Mill is also part of Phantassie estate,
where Andrew Meikle invented mechanical threshing in the
late 1780's. George Rennie's son John, born 1761 was an
apprentice at Houston Mill; later became an engineer
famous for, amongst others, Waterloo Bridge, London,
from which balusters commemorate him in the grounds of
J Martine REMINISCENCES OF THE ROYAL BURGH OF HADDINGTON
AND OLD EAST LOTHIAN AGRICULTURALISTS 1883.
"The Scot who bridged the Thames" Muir Scotland's
Magazine, June 1961.
OS Map Haddingtonshire 1854.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.