Archibald Sipson, 1832-4; additions and alterations,
Alexander Ross, 1874.
2-tier Gothic church, combining Parsonage (former school) in
ground floor and chapel in 1st floor. Orientated N-S with S
entrance gable to Castle Street. Tooled ashlar entrance
gable, harled flanks, tooled and polished ashlar dressings.
Austere S gable with round-headed entrance (simple nookshafts
and moulded reveals) in centre and triple light
pointed-headed window above linked by cill course and
continuous hoodmould; flanking square clasping buttresses
with blind slits and terminating as octagonal gablet detailed
pinnacles with stiff-leaf finials. Projecting 2-storey stair
wing at W (1874).
Triple light window in 1st floor at N gable with (1874) rose
window above. Slate roofs.
Entrance to Gordon Chapel House in W elevation; varied
glazing to windows; single storey wing at NE with piended
INTERIOR OF CHAPEL: entrance lobby with mural memorial dated
1838. Stairs (installed 1874) lead to Chapel largely
redesigned and refurnished 1874. Flat ceiling removed and
replaced by hammer-beam roof; pine dado, pews and pulpit;
brass communion rail; richly stencilled N chancel wall.
Stained glass by Morris and Co, some designed by Sir Edward
Burne-Jones; E window depicting crucifixion (and probably
dating from 1874), 2 windows on W wall and 3 in E wall
depicting variously St Cecilia (1879), St Ursula (1887),
Archangel Raphael (1902), Christ the Good Shepherd (1903) and
St Michael (1914).
Later 19th century decorative brass wall light brackets.
Grey-white oval marble font with swagged and panelled sides
supported by slender stem on plinth (possibly re-used from
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.