Print this record
There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: B
- Date Added: 25/04/1989
- Local Authority: Moray
- Planning Authority: Moray
- Parish: Rafford
National Grid Reference
- NGRNJ 2765 54978
- Coordinates302765, 854978
W L Carruthers, circa 1895, enlarged 1931. Long rambling
gabled S facing 2-storey house with E gable entrance front.
Harled, contrasting tooled ashlar margins and dressings.
Irregular wide 5-bay S garden front with bays linked by
continuous bandcourse between ground and 1st floors. Gabled
entrance front at E with off-centre recessed entrance porch.
Gabled rear (facing entrance drive) with single 2-storey
ashlar fronted gabled bays at NE. Some hoodmoulded
fenestration; multi-pane glazing to casement windows. Coped
ridge and wallhead stacks; stone slate roof.
Statement of Special Interest
Former Episcopal Parsonage for priest serving Altyre
Episcopal church; enlarged 1931 when the Gordon Cumming
family abandoned Altyre House, which was demolished in 1962.
Charles McKean, THE DISTRICT OF MORAY, AN ILLUSTRATED
ARCHITECTURAL GUIDE (1987), pp.53-4. National Monuments
Record of Scotland.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.