Print this record
There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: B
- Date Added: 25/04/1989
- Local Authority: Moray
- Planning Authority: Moray
- Parish: Rafford
National Grid Reference
- NGRNJ 2084 54556
- Coordinates302084, 854556
Earlier 19th century. Single storey, S facing gate lodge with
3-bay frontage to driveway. Harled, ashlar margins,
contrasting painted ashlar dressings. Centre hoodmoulded
pointed-headed doorway under projecting semi-circular canopy
swept from roof supported by pair of octagonal columns with
flared facetted capitals. Flanking hoodmoulded 3-light
windows with pointed-headed lights and Y-tracery glazing to
2-bay W elevation includes later additional bay, each fronted
by projecting canted window with metal horizontal glazing.
Centre pair diagonally set ridge coped ashlar stacks; piended
slate roof with projecting eaves.
Modern flat roofed extension at NE.
GATES: probably circa 1900. Ornate pair wrought-iron (reused)
carriage gates with shaped and intricately decorated upper
part, hung on pair of simple circa 1950 square harled
Statement of Special Interest
Gates similar to the pair at Manachie Lodge brought from
Gordonstoun to Altyre circa 1950 (Gordonstoun previously
belonged to the Gordon Cumming family). They are of good
quality workmanship and design; they either date from the
18th century (extensions and alterations of mansion house)
or, more likely, from the early 20th century, reproducing
18th century design, and installed during the time of Sir
William and Lady (Florence) Gordon Cumming, who carried out
much new building at Gordonstoun as at Altyre.
Information by courtesy Altyre Estate.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.