J M Dick Peddie, 1909 - 11; service wing additions, 1907.
Edwardian classical, substantial 2-storey mansion. Coursed
rubble, tooled and polished ashlar dressings and margins. E
facing entrance front with W garden elevation.
12-bay E front with slightly advanced centre 2 and outer 2
bays; wide segmental pediment to centre fronted by porte
cochere supported by 2 sets paired Roman Doric columns;
panelled entrance door with narrow side lights. paired 1st
floor windows with moulded lintels and Gibbsian detailing;
coat of arms in centre of tympanum; channelled ashlar angle
W GARDEN FRONT: symmetrical 2-storey and attic 10-bay W front
with wide advanced outer bays each with shallow projecting
bowed 3-light window rising full-height; centre 2 bays
defined by giant channelled angle pilaster strips under wide segmental-headed pediment with tympanum crest; long
multi-pane glazed French windows in bays 3 and 8; 6
Longer windows in ground floor than 1st; 12- and 15-pane
glazing; channelled ashlar quoins to all projecting bays;
deep ashlar base course. Panelled coped end and ridge stacks;
piended slate roofs.
Lower 1907 2-storey service wing at S gable.
INTERIOR: spacious austere interior with simple detailing.
Central vaulted top lit stairhall with arcaded screen
supported by paired Roman Doric columns; wooden staircase
with balusters and wide moulded handrail.
DRAWING ROOM: simple chimneypiece at each end with mantel
shelf supported by paired slender columns, sliding doors
divide room. Simple moulded cornices; beaded panelled window
shutters and doors, moulded door frames.
GATEPIERS: sited at road end of long driveway (NJ 066 557).
Probably 1776 and removed to present site from former Blervie
House, now Blervie Mains House. Tall pair square polished
ashlar piers, panelled; deep moulded cornice with stepped cap
supporting swagged urn with fluted base. No gates.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.