Dated 1776. S facing, 2-storey and dormerless attic,
symmetrical 5-bay house. Pinned, squared rubble frontge, harl
pointed rubble flanks, polished ashlar dressings and margins.
Slightly advanced centre gabletted bay with rusticated centre
doorpiece, small attic window and apex stack. Single ground,
1st floor and attic windows in E gable, paired ground and 1st
floor within similar attic window in W gable; 12-pane
Rusticated quoins; decorative lipped scroll skewputts, dated
at SW and with nautilus shell carved on gable faces; moulded
copes to ashlar end stacks; slate roofs.
Later single storey, 3-bay rear wing.
INTERIOR: entrance/stairhall with cantilevered staircase
rising full-height around square stairwell; reused stair
treads with moulded risers (moulding truncated at outside
edge) and with 1776 recut underside; twisted wrought-iron
balusters between ground and 1st floor, turned wooden
balusters above. Simple moulded ceiling cornices; raised and
fielded panelled doors and window shutters. Black marble
chimneypiece in dining room, later 19th century carved
chimneypiece in drawing room with white marble slip; reused
late 17th century moulded chimneypiece (?from Blervie
Castle) in one attic room.
Statement of Special Interest
Blervie Castle, of which the single 5-storey tower survives
sited to N of Blervie Mains House, was demolished in 1776 to
provide building material for the new mansion, in turn
superseded as Blervie House by the 1901 building of that
name. The nautilus shell carving on the skewputts is peculiar
to Forres and Findhorn, with this example at Blervie the only
one known outside these 2 centres.
House built by The Hon Major Lewis Duff, son of William
Braco, Earl of Fife.
Farmhouse and steading not included in listing.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.