1802, additions and alterations (which in the main retain the
original floor plan but heighten the house), Charles Doig,
Elgin 1903; further additions and remodelling, W H Woodroffe,
London, 1912-14. Minor alterations, A J Morrison, Elgin,
Substantial 2-storey and attic house over raised basement;
regular wide 7-bay S front (3 centre bays linked to advanced
outer bays by narrow bays). Squared cherry-pointed tooled
ashlar frontage, tooled rubble flanks and rear, contrasting
polished ashlar dressings.
Centre entrance approached by flight of steps oversailing
raised basement; entrance masked by substantial porch added
after 1914 and modelled on tetrastyle portico of 1802, with
bowed mullioned and transomed side windows and glazed
frontage with coloured glass depicting Lictors' staves.
Flanking tripartites with carved detailing as on porch; 3 1st
floor bipartites. 1912-14 Venetian windows in ground floor of
both advanced outer bays with tripartite in 1st floor above;
multi-pane glazing. Substantial corniced blocking course to
outer bays returning across E and W side elevations with
quatrefoil detailing. Tall corniced ridge and wallhead stacks
with repeat quatrefoil detailing to copes; piended slate
roofs, steeply pitched in centre.
Wide rear elevation with irregular advanced outer bays; 4
piended and one box dormer.
INTERIOR: some 1802 beaded panelled dados, window shutters
and doors survive. White painted 1802 carved chimneypiece in
entrance hall with mantel-shelf supported by slender columns
with Corinthian capitals. Present dining room with carved
white marble chimneypiece with centre swag. 1802 plaster
ceiling friezes in drawing and dining rooms, 1912 frieze in
entrance hall. 1903 staircase fronted by arcaded screen
supported by fluted Ionic columns.
Statement of Special Interest
Burgie was the seat of the Dunbar's of Grange; in 1796 Lewis
Dunbar of Burgie married Sophia Brodie of Coulmony,
Nairnshire, adding Brodie to his name. They built the present
Burgie House in 1802, demolishing the old castle (except the
tower) to provide materials.
The estate was rented by Alexander Thomson, who originated
from Turriff and who made money in Ceylon, from 1900 and
purchased by him in 1911. His initials together with those of
his wife are on the 1912 datestone; reused datestone of 1621
set in E gable are those of Robert Dunbar and his wife,
Charles Doig probably acted as executant architect to W H
Woodroffe 1912-14, as the plans are together in the Doig
Collection. The drawings show the original tetrastyle
portico, rather than the one fronting the house at present.
The 1802 portico was subsequently re-erected in the walled
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.