Print this record
There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: A
- Date Added: 26/01/1971
- Local Authority: Moray
- Planning Authority: Moray
- Parish: Rafford
National Grid Reference
- NGRNJ 9368 59314
- Coordinates309368, 859314
Dated 1602. Tall, 6-storey tower, the surviving portion of
former castle. Harl pointed rubble, ashlar dressings. Square
tower with crenellated and bartizaned wallhead with cannon
waterspouts; regular fenestration; projecting circular stair
turret rising full-height against E elevation; doorway at E
in ground floor with wrought-iron yett; gun loops. E face
reveals former 1st floor hall hearth with massive joggled
corniced mantel with centre coat of arms.
INTERIOR: tower consists of single rooms, one on top of other
served by wheel stair; rooms in 2 upper floors vaulted; apex
of stair tower also vaulted.
Statement of Special Interest
Coat of Arms initialled AD and KR for Alexander Dunbar of
Grange and his wife Katherine Reid, with RD for Robert Dunbar
below with '1602 zeiris'. Alexander Dunbar died in 1593
before completion of castle in 1602 and was succeeded by his
son Robert. Castle added to in 1702 and demolished (except
tower) in 1802 to provide materials for Burgie House
Change of Category B to A, 25.4.89.
THE STATISTICAL ACCOUNT (1794-5, Witherington and Grant ed
1982), p.631. Anon, SURVEY OF PROVINCE OF MORAY (1798),
p.161. NEW STATISTICAL ACCOUNT (1842), p.248. MacGibbon and
Ross, THE CASTELLATED AND DOMESTIC ARCHITECTURE OF SCOTLAND
ii (1887), pp.261-3. J G Murray, THE BOOK OF BURGIE (1930),
pp.21-2, 30 pl.3. Stewart Cruden, THE SCOTTISH CASTLE (1960,
3rd ed 1981), p.220.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.