James Gillespie Graham, 1826; alterations and additions, P
MacGregor Chalmers, Glasgow 1907. Gothic. Harl pointed
rubble, tooled and polished ashlar dressings. S gable fronted
by 3-stage tower with entrance at base, each stage delineated
by string course; recessed entrance with Perpendicular Gothic
doorpiece flanked by ashlar dummy facetted lanterns with
crocketted caps. Hoodmoulded pointed-headed traceried window
above; louvred fenestration in upper stage, N, S and W faces
of tower; ashlar balustraded wallhead with substantial
corbelled and crocketted angle pinnacles. 3 large windows
with Perpendicular tracery light to long W elevation, each
window flanked by stepped buttress terminating at wallhead
with substantial crocketted pinnacle. 3 (1907) similar
windows light E elevation, buttressed only in outer bays.
Large hoodmoulded and similarly traceried window in centre of
N gable. Small (1907) hexagonal vestry at NE. Clear quarry
glazing (1907) except for circa 1918 stained glass window at
N. Apex across finial at N gable; slate roof.
INTERIOR: lofty all interior largely remodelled 1907. Cusped
panelled dado encircles interior (made from former gallery
front); cusped panelled pulpit, holy table and rear screen
(all 1907); round-headed entrance (also 1907) into church
from entrance lobby; plain stained pine pews (1907).
Statement of Special Interest
Ecclesiastical building in use as such.
Replaced earlier church sited in present (old) burial ground.
Stained glass window given in memory of Capt H B Galloway,
killed in action, 1915. Clock dated 1907 at rear of church
gifted by Alexander Walker, a native of Rafford, then
President of the Colonial Bank of New York.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support.