Thomas Mackenzie, 1845-6. Neo-Tudor, 2-storey square school
with principal elevation to N and mirrored return elevations
E and W. Tooled ashlar, polished ashlar sandstone dressings.
9-bay principal N elevation with advanced outer and centre
bays linked by 3-bay arcades with terrace above fronting 1st
floor windows. Centre bay pierced by full-height hoodmoulded
arch framing recessed entrance and 1st floor window. Clasping
octagonal buttresses rise above wallhead as cusped octagonal
pinnacles with exaggerated stiff-leaf finials, crenellated
wallhead supporting niche housing statue of founder, crowned
as pinnacles but more ornate. Substantial oriel window in 1st
floor of outer bays.
E AND W ELEVATIONS: each of 7 bays with advanced centre bay
with hoodmoulded Tudor arched entrance; similarly treated
ground floor fenestration. Centre 1st floor window under
Multi-pane margined glazing; continuous string course links
all 1st floor windows.
Square tower on rear elevation rises single stage above
centre of building with crenellated angle finials and
wallhead. Similarly detailed octagonal angle turrets to each
advanced bay; decorative crenellation to wallhead with
intermediate finials. Slate roofs.
Low terrace with ashlar retaining wall and shallow flight
steps fronts building.
INTERIOR: main assembly hall fitted as gymnasium; wide stone
staircase rises to 1st floor.
ENCLOSING WALLS WITH GATEPIERS: low coped retaining wall to
High Street frontage with entrance flanked by octagonal
ashlar gatepiers with ornate stiff-leaf finialled caps. Site
enclosed with coped wall; simple ashlar gatepiers flank W
entrance to Institution Road.
Statement of Special Interest
'Milne's Free Schools' inscribed at base of founder's statue.
School gifted and endowed by legacy ($20,000) of Alexander
Milne (died 1839), a native of Fochabers and former employee
of Gordon Castle who emigrated to America and made a fortune,
most of which he left to his native town.
Various modern freestanding school buildings not included in
Upgraded: B to A, 24.03.88
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.