Skip to content

This website uses cookies. Find out moreOK

Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.


Status: Designated


Print this record

There are no additional online documents for this record.



  • Category: C
  • Date Added: 25/04/1989


  • Local Authority: Moray
  • Planning Authority: Moray
  • Parish: Rafford

National Grid Reference

  • NGRNJ 3256 54049
  • Coordinates303256, 854049


KENNELS: A and W Reid, 1899. Designed to combine kennels with

domestic quarters for kennelman. 2-storey, 3-bay E facing

centre block with slightly set back single storey wings at N

and S gables. Harl pointed rubble, tooled ashlar dressings.

Centre door with flanking windows, 2-bay kennels in outer

bays with single 1st floor bipartite, fronted by yard

enclosed by low coped rubble wall with high cast-iron

railings. Ground and 1st floor bipartites in W elevation;

projecting stairwell encased by single storey additions at N

gable. 4-pane glazing. Centre coped ridge stack; piended

slate roofs, bellcast on centre block.

INTERIOR: W facing 3-roomed domestic quarters. Kennels

include 'sick bay' for ill dogs.

KENNELS COTTAGE (KEEPER'S HOUSE): 1860-70; additions, A and W

Reid, 1899. Single storey and attic, 3-bay cottage. Harl

pointed rubble, tooled ashlar dressings. Centre door

sheltered by rustic gabled porch; gable dormers (possibly

1899) in outer bays; blind windows in 1st floor of gables;

4-pane glazing. Coped end stacks; slate roof with projecting


Statement of Special Interest

1899 Kennels replaced an earlier range on the same site.



FORRES GAZETTE, 8 February 1899. Advertisement for tenders.

1st ed OS (1870).

About Designations

Listed Buildings

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the, Annex 2, pp74-76.

The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see

Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at


Sorry, there are no images available for this record.


Sorry, there is no map available for this record.

Printed: 01/06/2016 02:41