Print this record
There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: A
- Date Added: 14/10/1976
- Local Authority: Moray
- Planning Authority: Moray
- Parish: Rothiemay
National Grid Reference
- NGRNJ 55122 48430
- Coordinates355122, 848430
Circa 1740. Long 2-storey kiln barn with long elevations
N and S. Mixed pinned and harl pointed rubble, tooled
granite dressings. Centre door flanked by vents; opposite
door in rear wall (for winnowing); 4 loft windows N and
S, kiln taking up one quarter of internal space at W of
building with small vents below eaves, N, S and W. Piended
roof with dormered loading door at E gable; some
alterations at E end for conversion of ground floor as
cottage in 19th century. Ridge stack for kiln and later
ridge cottage stack; piended local slate roof
deteriorating at SW.
INTERIOR: double-leaf plank doors hinged in centre (to
control draught for winnowing); drawbar holes to each
entrance, mural aumbry close to S door. Circular kiln bowl
with 2 openings into kiln, one above the other; original
smoke blackened 'kiln-sticks' now boarded over to make
floor at 1st floor level; stone mural chute from kiln
floor to ground floor. Storage loft with wooden shutters
to 8 windows with cills at floor level; pegged timber
roof with ashlar and sole plates at wallhead.
Statement of Special Interest
William Duff, Lord of Braco bought Rothiemay in 1741,
dying 1763; the barn is known to have been built during
his lifetime. This kiln barn is a rare survival, the
conversion of part of the E end as a gardener's cottage
in no way obscuring the functional nature of the building.
There is one other kiln barn in Moray District, now Bow
Cottage, Ballindalloch and one similar building, at
Sandside, Caithness. Change of Category B to A 25.4.89.
H Gordon Slade, "Rothiemay: an 18th century kiln barn',
VERNACULAR BUILDING 4 (1978), pp. 21-27.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.