Dated 1641 or 1644, but probably commenced in early 17th
century. 4-storey tower house, each storey containing a
single room. Harled rubble, ashlar dressings and margins.
Centre entrance in S elevation to slightly sunken vaulted
store. Off-centre entrance to 1st floor reached by later
forestair with dated armorial panel above entrance; single
small window to each floor in S front, small vents elsewhere.
Round bartizans corbelled out at SE and NW angles with
conical roofs, small windows and shot-holes square, open
bartizan at SW angle with corbelled base and crenellated
wallhead. Chamfered margins; iron window grills. Coped
end and tall wallhead stacks; flush stone slab roof
mounted on stone vault.
INTERIOR: vaulted ground floor store with gun loops in N,
E and W walls; stone slab can be raised from opening in
crown of vault to pass goods up or down from 1st floor hall.
1st floor hall with deep window embrasure, mural closet,
aumbry, small coat of arms and yett. Mural stair leads to
2nd and 3rd floor rooms. Each room barrel vaulted except
that on 3rd floor which has arch pointed vaulting supporting
roof, the vaults alternating in directing on each floor.
Further mural closet in 2nd floor room; 3rd floor room
opens to bartizans.
Statement of Special Interest
Armorial panel above 1st floor entrance initialled RI and AI
for Robert Innes of Invermarkie, superior, and Alexander
Innes of Coxton. Second set of initials are IR and KG for
Janet Reid and Kate Gordon, 1st and 2nd wives respectively
of Alexander Innes of Coxton, who died 6 October, 1612 and
is buried in Lhanbryde burial ground. Coxton Tower thought
to have been commenced by Alexander Innes and completed
by his grandson, Sir Alexander Innes, whose arms with
those of his 2nd wife, Mary MacKenzie of Coul, Ross-shire
are in the 1st floor hall. The armorial must be after
1647, the year Sir Alexander's first wife died.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.