This website uses cookies. Find out more.OK

Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.

KININVIE HOUSEReference: LB15862

Status: Designated


Print this record

There are no additional online documents for this record.


  • Category: A
  • Date Added: 22/02/1972


  • Local Authority: Moray
  • Planning Authority: Moray
  • Parish: Mortlach

National Grid Reference

  • NGRNJ 31882 44048
  • Coordinates331882, 844048


Said to be 1523 tower house, additions 1610. Further

extensive additions and alterations by William Robertson,

1840. Some further alterations and additions 1929-30. Mainly

2 storeys over raised basement (site slopes to W); irregular

S facing U-plan house with mainly 1840 E entrance front.

Harled rubble, polished ashlar dressings, contrasting tooled

ashlar margins.

Gabled E elevation with near centre round-headed recessed

entrance porch in advanced gabled bay approached by flight

of steps oversailing raised basement; 2 long windows at left

lighting 1840 library.

Irregular S garden front incorporates 3 builds; at W 1523

single bay tower house of 4 storeys and attic, with abutting

drumtower stair turret corbelled out as small square

caphouse at upper stage. Entrance in re-entrant angle with

small flanking gun loops and arrow slits. Centre 1610, 3-

storey, 2-bay block (remodelled 1840); outer 1840 advanced

and gabled wing with large windows. Centre 1st floor windows

barely break wallhead under gablets with centre armorial;

re-set armorial panels in S and W elevations.

Mainly 1840 multi-pane glazing with thick moulded wooden

mullions (and transom to 1 window). 1840 angle bartizans;

original rolled moulded copes to 16th and early 17th century

stacks, copied 1840 margined end and ridge stacks. Slate


1929-30 addition bay to N and remodelling of rear service


INTERIOR: vaulted entrance lobby to 16th century tower house;

single room in each floor served by wheel stair, some deep

moulded cornices; pegged and numbered roof timbers in attic.

1840 HOUSE: entrance hall with public rooms left and right

(sitting room and dining room). Dining room with re-used

panelling (installed 1929); reeded detailing to wooden

chimneypiece; bracketted ceiling cornice.

DRAWING ROOM: (former late 16th century 1st floor hall)

carved wooden Adamesque overmantel to 1930's brick

chimneypiece; fine late 18th century fielded panelled door

and doorpiece with overdoor and acanthus detailing; plain

6-fielded panels to passage face.

Ornate turned balusters, in sets of 3 with differing

patterns to staircase installed during 1929 alterations.

LIBRARY: simple moulded ceiling cornice; plain grey marble


Statement of Special Interest

Home of Leslie's of Kininvie and Tullich from 1523-1943.

Lands of Kininvie granted in 1521 by John, third Earl of

Athole, to Alexander Leslie who died circa 1549 and whose

effigy is in Mortlach Parish Church.

Datestones of 1610 and 1726, the former resited after

blocking of 1610 entrance in 1840.




pp. 289-90. Moray District Record Office, DAWP 113.

Elizabeth Beaton, WILLIAM ROBERSTON 1786-1841, ARCHITECT IN

ELGIN (1984), pp. 22, 27.

About Designations

Listed Buildings

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the, Annex 2, pp74-76.

The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see

Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at