Print this record
There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: A
- Group Category Details: A
- Date Added: 26/01/1971
- Local Authority: Moray
- Planning Authority: Moray
- Parish: Bellie
National Grid Reference
- NGRNJ 35069 59570
- Coordinates335069, 859570
MANSION HOUSE: John Baxter, 1769-83; repaired after fire. Archibald Simpson, 1827; remodelled in present form by Schomberg Scott, 1961-5. Substantial castellated Georgian, symmetrical 2-storey range. Tooled ashlar, polished ashlar dressings.
N entrance front with principal 7-bay elevation and further lower 2-storey, 6-bay range extending E. 7-bay symmetrical return W gable and extensive S garden front with conservatory/orangery at SE. Principal entrance in N front in slightly advanced 3 centre bays; pedimented and keystoned doorpiece with monograms on lintel dated 1965; moulded architraves to windows; round-headed windows in lower E block.
Pedimented and keystoned entrance in centre of symmetrical 7-bay W front, again with centre 3 bays slightly advanced.
Extensive S garden front with varied but regular fenestration similar to that on N elevation.
Sash and case windows, mainly 12-pane glazing. Corbelled and crenellated wallhead; coped stacks; shallow piended slate roof.
INTERIOR: entrance lobby leads to octagonal central hall from which (1965) curved staircase rises to circular 1st floor top-lit landing with re-used 18th century white marble chimneypiece. Further reused marble chimneypieces in 1st floor drawing room and ground floor library/study. 1827 Simpsonesque key-pattern doorpieces; moulded ceiling cornices; panelled doors and window reveals.
CONSERVATORY-ORANGERY: probably Archibald Simpson, circa 1830. Tooled ashlar. Tall fenestrated 9-bay front with similar windows in return gables, all with lying-pane glazing. Shallow piended glazed roof.
GATE-PIERS: probably 1769-82 and possibly re-sited. Pair tall square ashlar gatepiers flank drive to N entrance of mansion. Moulded caps support carved stone eagles.
Statement of Special Interest
The origins of Gordon Castle are said to date from 1275 and 1540, when the property was known as the Bog o' Gight, the seat of the Earls, Marquis's and subsequently the Dukes of Gordon (and Richmond). It is now the property of the Gordon-Lennox family.
The early tower was incorporated in a circa 1700 mansion which was remodelled and greatly enlarged for the 4th Duke of Gordon by John Baxter, architect, Edinburgh, 1769-82.
The E wing of the castle was damaged by fire in 1827, repaired with some internal modifications by Archibald Simpson, Aberdeen. In 1961 extensive portions of the mansion were demolished, leaving the E wing as the sole dwelling, the ancient tower as a freestanding block in the centre of the range and at the W the former stables/carriage house, which became the Home Farm steading. The architect for this final stage was Schomberg Scott, Edinburgh, 1961-65.
For purposes of listing, Gordon Castle has been divided into 4 items.
1. Mansion house with gatepiers and conservatory/orangery.
4. Home Farm Steading.
Anon. THE SURVEY OF MORAY (1798), p. 311. NEW STATISTICAL
ACCOUNT (1842), p. 119. J and W Watson, MORAYSHIRE DESCRIBED
(1868), pp. 80-6. Howard Colvin, A BIOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY OF
BRITISH ARCHITECTS, 1600-1840 (1978), pp. 100, 650, 707, 737.
Scottish Record Office, RHP 1056-1071 and GD 44/49/16.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.