This website uses cookies. Find out more.OK

Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.


Status: Designated


Print this record

There are no additional online documents for this record.


  • Category: A
  • Group Category Details: A - 74-77
  • Date Added: 26/01/1971


  • Local Authority: Moray
  • Planning Authority: Moray
  • Parish: Bellie

National Grid Reference

  • NGRNJ 34986 59555
  • Coordinates334986, 859555


Tall rubble tower of 6 storeys, 2 storeys at ground probably incorporating remains of late medieval castle, rubble built, with present tower said to date from 1540 with subsequent 18th, 19th

century modifications and circa 1960 demolition of much surrounding 18th century work.

Ashlar upper storeys with cable moulded string courses. Fenestration probably regularised in 18th century; multi-pane glazing to sash and case windows; remodelled crenellated upper storey with corbelled angle turrets.

Statement of Special Interest

Original stronghold of the Earls and Marquises of Gordon, formerly called the Bog o' Gight. The Slezer engraving shows the former castle in Renaissance grandeur before the Baxter work which incorporated the tower as centre piece in 1769, but which was in large part demolished circa 1960, leaving one range as the present Gordon Castle (see separate listing) and the tower as a detached structure.

Upgraded: B to A, 24.3.88



As for Gordon Castle mansion house.

E Beaton RIAS Guide MORAY (1987) pp1146.

John Slezer engraving, Castle Gordon, 1672 (The Castle of Inverero).

About Designations

Listed Buildings

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the, Annex 2, pp74-76.

The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see

Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at