This website uses cookies. Find out more.OK

Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.


Status: Designated


Print this record

There are no additional online documents for this record.


  • Category: A
  • Group Category Details: A - 94-97
  • Date Added: 26/01/1971


  • Local Authority: Moray
  • Planning Authority: Moray
  • Parish: Bellie

National Grid Reference

  • NGRNJ 34935 65365
  • Coordinates334935, 865365


Late 18th century complex of slightly different builds.

COURTYARD SQUARE WITH DWELLINGS: probably John Baxter, 1772.

2-storey, 5-bay S facing frontage with slightly lower,

2-storey single bay set back wings terminating U-plan rear

range enclosing hollow square. Tooled and squared rubble

frontage, tooled rubble elsewhere, tooled ashlar dressings.

Centre keystoned segmental-headed pend with impost blocks

leading to inner court. Regular fenestration with 12-pane

glazing. Shaped centre front wallhead stack; coped end

stacks; Banffshire slate roofs.

Inner court enclosed by 2-storey U-plan range comprising

dwellings, former cooperage, stables, stores. Forestair leads

to 1st floor.

FISH HOUSE: dated 1783. L-plan single storey range abutting W

gable of steading square; rear yard closed at N by wall.

Irregular 4-bay S front with doorway and blocked keystoned

arch (as steading square) with centre window. Further

doorways in W return elevation and massive double wallhead

stack. Varied glazing. Slate roofs.

INTERIOR: 2 large fireplaces each fitted with substantial

iron swey; wheel and hoisting tackle in roof. Stone slab


Statement of Special Interest

Fish house in use for commercial salmon fishing. For further

notes, see Tugnet ice house below.

Upgraded: B to A, 24.3.88



See below, Tugnet ice house. For courtyard range, Scottish

Record Office, GD44/Sec 52/37/pp. 325, 343.

About Designations

Listed Buildings

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the, Annex 2, pp74-76.

The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see

Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at