Archibald Simpson, 1828-29. Substantial range forming hollow
square and comprising both dwellings and farm buildings, most
of the latter now gutted internally and converted to modern
Red harled with tooled ashlar margins and dressings. Regular
wide SW facing front range with centre arched entrance. Tall
ashlar segmental-headed archway with corniced and stepped
blocking course. Flanking mirrored 2-storey dwellings,
projecting front and back as single bay gables (canted to
courtyard) linked to archway by set back single bay, in each
of which is bracketted corniced entrance. Long ground floor fenestration, the front windows also with bracketted
cornices, the 1st floor fenestration lower, and some blind in
inward facing bays. Single storey and loft, set back 6-bay
outer ranges, with lunette fenestration above each window set
in shallow round-headed recesses, at left all front
fenestration is blind, at right the block has near centre
gabled porch. Varied multi-pane glazing, some lying-pane.
Squat coped and shaped ridge stacks; slate roofs with
projecting jointed eaves.
2 further long single storey W ranges are sited parallel to
main square, and linked at gabled frontage by square panelled
Statement of Special Interest
Rear, much altered range of buildings not included in
Scottish Record Office RH Plan no 2398 is a working drawing
with a reference to 'Mr Simpson's own drawings'. The series
of drawings reveal that a clock tower was intended as the
Described in 1842 as 'a range of buildings which for
amplitude, utility and elegance are certainly unrivalled in
Formerly the mains farm on Gordon Castle Estate and called
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.