Possibly John Paterson, architect, Edinburgh, 1800-01.
2-storey garden pavillion/tea house built to abut walled
garden, the garden wall continuous with S elevation of house,
against the ground floor of which was a former glazed vinery/conservatory, and into which the house opened.
Substantial later lean-to 2-storey rear addition; later
single storey lean-to wings flank house.
House is (Banffshire) slate hung at 1st floor level replaced
on S front by painted (?metal) material giving impression of tile-hanging. Harled and rendered additions and alterations.
Present entrance in re-entrant angle at rear. Bowed French
window forms centre entrance to 3-bay S garden front with
flanking windows, one half blocked. 1st floor lit by wide
centre bowed window with blind outer lights, aprons, fluted
jambs and frieze with lozenge ornament, Venetian window
lights W 1st floor elevation, 2 round-headed windows light E.
Multi-pane glazing. Mutule cornice encircles building which
has rear centre wallhead stack and flat roof.
INTERIOR: floor plan of original house is of single circular
chamber within cube on both floors, the upper floor
approached by curved cantilevered ataircase at E with slender
balusters and carved decoration to outer face of stairs.
Small rectangular rooms open off main centre chambers at
ground and 1st floor level. Circular rooms have beaded
panelled window shutters, panelled dados and doors, carved
wooden chimneypieces with fluted engaged columns each side,
decorative ceiling cornices. Carved trellis-like
ornamentation decorates curved wall of small 1st floor room
Statement of Special Interest
Estate plan of 1808 reveals Lakeside House fronted by narrow
rectangular building, presumably the conservatory, and by
un-walled garden. Accounts survive for trellis and other wall
papers from London for 'room behind conservatory', 1801.
Upgraded: B to A, 24.3.88.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.