Skip to content

This website uses cookies. Find out moreOK

Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.


Status: Designated


Print this record

There are no additional online documents for this record.



  • Category: B
  • Date Added: 03/08/1971


  • Local Authority: Dumfries And Galloway
  • Planning Authority: Dumfries And Galloway
  • Parish: Wamphray

National Grid Reference

  • NGRNY 13070 96462
  • Coordinates313070, 596462


William MacGowan, 1834. Simple rectangular-plan 3-bay church

with round-headed windows with intersecting tracery,

bird-cage belfry above W gable, (altered) tall gabled vestry

and hall off-centre on E gable. Enclosed by churchyard.

CHURCH: rubble-built with contrasting red ashlar dressings

and chamfered margins. Square-headed main door (incorporating

carved medieval slab as lintel) on W gable in shallow

projecting vertical strip linked to belfry. Ball finial over

E gable. Vestry and hall with door in each flank, modern

glazing below slate-hung gable head. Roofed with graded

slates. Simple interior, renovated 1899; pulpit at E,

panelled vestibule at W.

CHURCHYARD: enclosed by rubble-built walls with main gate at

E; extended to N in 20th century. Mostly 18th and 19th

century carved stone monuments; Rogerson burial enclosure

(red ashlar with rusticated quoins) with memorial to Dr John

Rogerson (1741-1823), first physician to the emperor of

Russia; Carruthers of Milne column near main gate.

Statement of Special Interest

Ecclesiastical building in use as such. A good 19th century country church in traditional style. The gothick style glazing pattern adds much to the character of the building.

The lintel of the west door of the church is a carved stone of considerable antiquity and interest (see RCAHMS Inventory). It is believed to date from the 9th century and have been part of cross-shaft. The carved ornamentation is similar to that found in Anglian metalwork and manuscripts and the stone is considered by the County Archaeologist to be one of the best examples of Anglian sculpture not currently in museum curation. It has been suggested that the stone may have come from Barneygill Chapel.

William MacGowan, the architect of the church, was a mason and burgess of Dumfries. No other examples of his work are known. His involvement here is recorded in the Heritors Records, held at the National Archives (reference given in Colvin).

List description updated June 2008.



H Colvin, Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840 (3rd edition, 1995), p631. Groome, Gazetteer (n.d. 2nd edition), p475. RCAHMS Inventory: Eastern Dumfriesshire, p256. Third Statistical Account, p386.

About Designations

Listed Buildings

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the, Annex 2, pp74-76.

The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see

Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at


Sorry, there are no images available for this record.


Sorry, there is no map available for this record.

Printed: 29/05/2016 12:28