This website uses cookies. Find out more.OK

Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.


Status: Designated


Print this record

There are no additional online documents for this record.


  • Category: B
  • Date Added: 04/11/1971


  • Local Authority: Dumfries And Galloway
  • Planning Authority: Dumfries And Galloway
  • Parish: Urr

National Grid Reference

  • NGRNX 81675 65807
  • Coordinates281675, 565807


P MacGregor Chalmers, architect, 1914. Bull-faced red

sandstone church with polished chamfered margins. 4-bay nave

and aisle to N with 2-light pointed-arch windows small-paned

leaded glazing or stained glass.

Tower to W with porch at base; hoodmoulded pointed-arch

doorway with recessed double-leaf doors.

Tower with 1 tall stage and belfry stage above with string

course dividing stages. Belfry stage with cusped lancet

openings and pointed-arch hood; crenellated parapet with

small bartizans corbelled at angles and rainwater spouts.

Stumpy facetted spire. Slate roofs.

INTERIOR: entry from porch at base of tower to nave; 4-bay

aisle to left separated from nave by round arched arcade

supported on piers of various section. Chancel arch supported

on pilasters. Steps to marble dais at chancel; carved oak

communion table and lectern. Chancel window by Douglas

Strachan, aisle window by David Ballantine (resited from

previous church), nave windows David Gulland.

Dry stone walls to churchyard; main gates cast-iron with

gatepiers supporting good Art Nouveau lamp brackets.

Churchyard with many 18th and 19th century tombstones.

Herries memorial: square painted rubble enclosure, corniced

and with raised polished margins and quoins; memorial plaques

to Herries family.

Statement of Special Interest

Ecclesiastical building in use as such. Built on the site of

1815 church.




1972 p.41.

About Designations

Listed Buildings

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the, Annex 2, pp74-76.

The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see

Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at