Print this record
There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: C
- Date Added: 11/11/1994
- Local Authority: Dumfries And Galloway
- Planning Authority: Dumfries And Galloway
- Parish: Mochrum
National Grid Reference
- NGRNX 36854 43898
- Coordinates236854, 543898
Later 19th century. Single storey smithy. Adjoined to modernised single storey and attic, 2-bay cottage, Smithy House, forming L-plan to rear. Painted rubble.
E (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: opening to left, with timber lintel and sliding steel machinery door. Cottage adjoined to right.
S ELEVATION: window to right, with timber mullion and transom dividing to 16 small panes. Partly-glazed window to left of centre. Timber and corrugated sheet metal lean-to adjoined to left.
W ELEVATION: painted rubble lean-to (former byre) adjoined to width of gable; door to right to S; corrugated sheet metal roof. Gable partly rendered above.
N ELEVATION: partly-glazed window at centre. Small modern porch (to house) to left, filling re-entrant angle. Roof piended to E, gabled to W. Modern purple slates to E pitch; small grey slates to S
pitch; corrugated sheet asbestos to N, with slates in re-entrant angle to E. Granite dressed rubble stacks; gablehead to W, ridge off-centre to E. Red sandstone ridge and thackstanes. 2 rooflights each to N and S pitches.
INTERIOR: 2 apartments, with dividing rubble wall. Shoeing shed in apartment to E; some setts to floor. Smithy in apartment to W; metal-canopied brick and stone forge to W wall with bellows; brick-canopied forge to E wall. Water pump to S.
Statement of Special Interest
The Smithy does not appear to be marked on the OS Map of 1848, but it is marked as "Smithy" on the OS Map of 1906. The survival of the fine bellows is of particular interest.
OS Map 1850, Wigtownshire, Sheet 29 (surveyed 1848). OS Map 1909,
Wigtownshire, Sheet XXX NE (surveyed 1906).
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.