Print this record
There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: A
- Date Added: 03/08/1971
- Local Authority: Dumfries And Galloway
- Planning Authority: Dumfries And Galloway
- Parish: St Mungo
National Grid Reference
- NGRNY 14937 77471
- Coordinates314937, 577471
David Bryce architect. Dated 1865. Large Scots Baronial
mansion, mostly 2/3 storeys; with circular turrets,
corbelled bartizans pedimented dormer heads, crow-stepped
gables and coped stacks. Stugged and snecked ashlar with
polished dressings and roll-mouldings; finialled slate roofs,
conical roofs with lead figures 3-storey Castle Fraser-style
tower with castellated porch-cochere to E fronting balustraded
tall circular turret with bell-cast cap house; Courtyard formed
by L-plan Crathes-style S range, mullioned and transomed turret
in re-entrant angle. Mullioned conservatory at S re-modelled to
form dining room. Extensive U-plan coach house and offices to NE
linked by archway. Garden balustrade to W of house. INTERIOR:
extremely rich and well-executed neo-Jacobean decoration to halls
and to principal rooms; extensive oak panelling and ceiling
plasterwork: some sensitive alterations (eg. in morning room)
early 20th century, possibly by Scott Morton: fine oak stair
(arcaded balustrading with wrought-iron enrichment) approached
through square-columned screen: marble and oak chimney pieces
Statement of Special Interest
Designed 1862-3; built 1864-6 for R Jardine of Castlemilk and
One of Bryce's largest houses, the largest to survive
complete, with perhaps his finest interior.
A Rowan in COUNTRY LIFE, 1977; pub;
University of Edinburgh MR DAVID BRYCE, 1976 (exhibition
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.