This website uses cookies. Find out more.OK

Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.


Status: Designated


Print this record

There are no additional online documents for this record.


  • Category: B
  • Date Added: 03/08/1971


  • Local Authority: Dumfries And Galloway
  • Planning Authority: Dumfries And Galloway
  • Parish: Westerkirk

National Grid Reference

  • NGRNY 34408 86824
  • Coordinates334408, 586824


Circa 1875 in style of William Burn's 1840's work. Symmetrical small-scale 2-storey neo-Jacobean mansion with spike-finialed gables, variety of mullioned and/or transomed windows; low service court to W has similar details. Stugged grey coursers with polished dressings and raised long and short worked quoins.

S ELEVATION: steps lead to central open porch with round-arched opening, 2-storey octagon above with round-headed upper lights and weathervane- finialed bell-cast and leaded roof; advanced and gabled outer bays with 2-storey canted windows and linked by arches at ground to porch. Plate-

glass sash windows; continuous band courses between floors and at eaves; cornice; pierced balustrades; end and axial stacks with grouped octagonal flues. Roofs covered with graded slates. N elevation also with canted windows in outer bays; asymmetrical E flank. Service court comprises 2 parallel 2-bay ranges, linking screen wall to W with round-

arched pend and timber gate.

INTERIOR: top-lit and spacious central hall with stair and rooms leading off; some elaborate cornice plasterwork; marble chimney pieces, that in drawing room Gothic.

Statement of Special Interest

Unusual style for date. Built for Alexander Reid, manufacturer, Langholm, who died 1874 before building was completed. Stylistic similarities with James Burnet of Langholm's library there (the building of which was assisted by a substantial legacy from Reid) suggests that he may also have designed Craigcleuch.



About Designations

Listed Buildings

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the, Annex 2, pp74-76.

The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see

Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at