Much altered house and much restored. Work by Thomas
Telford 1783; reconstruction work following fire damage both
in 1873 and in 1955. Essentially 3 ranges in south-facing
U-plan; north-facing neo-classical entrance in bay linking
inner and E ranges. Mostly rubble-built with ashlar
dressings and margins. Main inner range: completely gutted
in 1955, and walls heightened/altered in reconstruction with
main roof swept over stump of former N wing. 2 storeys, 2
conical-roofed turrets in roughly Z-plan arrangement, that
on N wall perhaps originally a 17/18th century stair, that
to S, with garden entrance, circa 1955; S elevation with
3-window inner bow.
N ENTRANCE (?by Telford): possibly re-positioned in 19th
century; broad outer pilasters, cornice and blocking course,
wide panelled door with sidelights and thermal window above.
2-storey E wing comprises 2 unequal parallel blocks in double-pile arrangement; W wing single storey, curved low linking bay at NW. Mostly sash windows throughout with 12-pane glazing pattern. Corniced stacks; roofs covered mostly with graded slates. Unusual (?) 18th century ashlar-built well to NE, water spout set in S face, armorial panel above, water pours into trough below.
Statement of Special Interest
Listed for historic interest. The earliest known sizeable
job by Telford was at Westerhall.
Penfold notes a letter from Telford to Andrew Little, July
1783, "Mr Pulteney and I have made 100 alterations in
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.