Mid/later 18th century 2-storey 5-bay country house with
attic and basement; east-facing, and formerly symmetrical,
with recessed full-height wings (these perhaps not
original) forming U-plan. Remodelled circa 1830 (windows
possibly enlarged; panelled door with fanlight inserted,
bow added to west end of north wing, and present main
stair built) and in 1899 by John A Campbell of Glasgow
(baroque porch added and north wing enlarged). All harled
with painted ashlar dressings and rusticated quoins. East
elevation: porch with open segmental pediment on pilasters,
round-headed doorway, steps within; sash windows, plate
glass at ground, 12-pane glazing at 1st floor; flat-roofed
dormers; single bay wing to left; (north) wing to right with
pilastered aedicular ingle-neuk (north-facing window
similarly treated), wall-head stack above, and oculus at
1st floor; base course; eaves/lintel band; cornice;
blocking course; coped end, wall-head and ridge stacks;
piended slate roofs. Pyramidal-roofed porch to south.
Interior: cantilevered stair with cast-iron balusters;
much remodelling circa 1899, round-arched screen in hall,
round-arched doorways into north wing, each with cartouche
in tympanum; fireplace and fitted cupboard in angle
alongside; pilastered openings in billiards room and dado
panelling; some decorative (early 19th century) cornice
plasterwork. South wing basement with shallow segmental-
arched brick vault.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.