Print this record
There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: B
- Date Added: 04/11/1971
- Local Authority: Dumfries And Galloway
- Planning Authority: Dumfries And Galloway
- Parish: Troqueer
National Grid Reference
- NGRNX 94993 70777
- Coordinates294993, 570777
Circa 1800, stables, 4 ranges built around quadrangular courtyard; mostly single storey; lofts; north range partly in domestic use. All rubble-built with ashlar dressings; mostly painted. Symmetrical 7-bay north front: crenellated 2-storey central tower with blocked pend originally segmental-arched, later square-headed, and now a round- headed window; similar window above (pointed windows to courtyard), and square obelisk finial on square plinth (?formerly housing clock); otherwise square-headed door and window openings below cusped-headed slit loft ventilators; eaves course; cornice. South range also has 2-storey central tower, latter with ball-finialed pyramidal
roof. Low east and west ranges; courtyard entered from east. Openings mostly square-headed. All roofed with graded slates.
Statement of Special Interest
Some earlier fabric might be incorporated. A good example of a post-improvement period classical stable block. The 1st edition Ordnance Survey map of 1854-8 mentions a 'Threshing Machine' which was likely to have been contained in the semicircular extension to the South elevation shown on the map and which appears to be no longer extant.
Owned by Forestry Commission Scotland.
1st edition Ordnance Survey map (1854-8).
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.