Print this record
There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: C
- Date Added: 04/11/1971
- Local Authority: Dumfries And Galloway
- Planning Authority: Dumfries And Galloway
- Parish: Troqueer
National Grid Reference
- NGRNX 93129 73523
- Coordinates293129, 573523
Built circa 1785. 3-storey 5-bay mansion house with basement
and symmetrical flanking wings; now a hotel. Modified circa
1857 and again circa 1895 when (brick) billiard room and
glass house range added to rear. Rendered, with ashlar
dressings. South-east elevation: steps to central Roman
Doric-columned porch; cill course to upper floors, upper
windows now pedimented (circa 1895) and cut through main
cornice. Corniced end stacks; piended roof. 2-storey, 2-bay
wings also piended, linked to main block by recessed low
linking bays with enlarged 3-light inserted openings.
Circular rear stair turret, canted billiard room to left.
Interior: cantilevered stair with decorative cast-iron
balusters; panelled doors in door cases. Simple ceiling
plasterwork. Glass house is timber-framed, with some cast-
Statement of Special Interest
B group with former stables and viaduct. 1794 notice
describes Woodley Park as "lately built; it has a ground
floor, 1st floor and 8 bed chambers above." Balfour Browne
purchased estate in 1891; he enlarged "some... furtive
little windows". Home of Burns' Maria Woodley (Mrs Riddel).
TRANSACTIONS OF THE DUMFRIESSHIRE AND GALLOWAY NATURAL
HISTORY AND ANTIQUARIAN SOCIETY, 1963
p.184 ff.Dumfries Weekly Journal 1.4.1794.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.