This website uses cookies. Find out more.OK

Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.


Status: Designated


Print this record

There are no additional online documents for this record.


  • Category: A
  • Date Added: 04/11/1971


  • Local Authority: Dumfries And Galloway
  • Planning Authority: Dumfries And Galloway
  • Parish: Troqueer

National Grid Reference

  • NGRNX 97990 68033
  • Coordinates297990, 568033


Composite house, nucleus a 16th century house, 5 additional

building phases until 1823 when tall private chapel block

was added to north. Tower house: L-plan; 3 storeys with

gabled taller jam; mostly roll-moulded openings (bipartites

inserted at south); corbelled parapet encloses roof;

rubble-built with red ashlar dressings. 17th century

addition to south of tower house added in 2 phases, 2

storeys, harled west elevation includes blocked segmental-

arched roll-moulded doorway, single pedimented dormer head

retained. Gabled wing (probably first half of 18th century)

returns east from north end of latter thus completing

U-plan house with open court at east, but latter filled

mid 18th century by neat, symmetrical 3-storey 5-bay house

built of red brick with red ashlar lintels, cills, quoins

and inner bay dressings. Former chapel block is orientated

east-west, and linked to house by low corridor; 2-storeys,

red brick, segmental arched openings to service area at

ground, chapel and priest's room above have openings mostly round-headed; fore-stair on long north wall, lean-to's to

south. Glazing throughout mostly small-paned sashes; all

roofed with graded slates.

Interior: tower house vaulted at ground; chapel has coved

ceiling; pilasters at either end of chapel frame altar

recess and raised family pew. Quadrangular court to rear

(west), ashlar coped brick-built walls linked with tower

house and with chapel; (? circa 1800) brick outbuildings

at west and slated pend.

Statement of Special Interest

Chapel has been de-consecrated. House of Maxwell (later

Maxwell-Witham) of Kirkconnel.

3-storey, 5-bay brick house built for James Maxwell (d.1762)

after his return from the continent circa 1750.




OWNERS IN GALLOWAY, vol V (1879) p.220.

R G Mann, BONNIE GALLAWA' (pub. Dumfries Courier and Herald,

2nd ed. n.d.) p.14 (provides date of chapel)

About Designations

Listed Buildings

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the, Annex 2, pp74-76.

The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see

Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at