Print this record
There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: A
- Date Added: 04/11/1971
- Local Authority: Dumfries And Galloway
- Planning Authority: Dumfries And Galloway
- Parish: Ruthwell
National Grid Reference
- NGRNY 794 6895
- Coordinates307940, 568950
15th century large, rectangular-plan tower house at west end
of 1900-2 mansion house, latter by James Barbour and J.M.
Bowie of Dumfries, architects. TOWER HOUSE: 5 storeys;
rubble-built, ashlar dressings; round-headed door with yett
at east end of north wall; small mostly square-headed
openings, larger openings have iron grilles; splayed base
course; corbelled and crenellated parapet encloses roof and
links crow-stepped cap house over 3 angles.
Interior: many passages, chambers, presses etc. within wall
thicknesses; carved stone chimney-piece on 1st floor.
Outbuildings to West linked by crenellated wall. 20TH CENTURY
HOUSE: mostly 3 storey echoes tower house features;
asymmetrical extensive use of corbelling and crow-stepped
gables. Rubble-built, contrasting pink ashlar dressings.
Round-headed doorway on north east corner, north-facing
mullioned and transomed windows alongside loggia to south on
Coped stacks; slate roofs.
Statement of Special Interest
Listed category A for value of Tower house.
Mansion house claimed by Bowie in his RIBA nomination papers,
and attributed to Barbour in his obituary.
Sundial to south with late 17th/18th century stone fragments.
RCAHM, INVENTORY, 1920. no.537
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.