J M Bowie of Dumfries architect, circa 1929, remodelling
small plain, rectangular-plan 3-bay church of circa 1816.
Painted rubble, with red ashlar dressings, porch, bell turret
and spire. Gothic; hood-moulded, painted central doorway on
west gable, tall gabled porch with cusped panels and swept
gable detail supports octagonal bell turret with louvred
opening linked by looped hoodmoulding to each face and squat,
faceted and crocketted spire, apex cross. Hood-moulded,
pointed windows with cusped tracery flank porch (similar
windows to bay); panelled clasping buttresses at west end
with gableted pinnacles; gableted finial over east gable:
former vestry now a chancel; low, bull-faced, red ashlar
porch added in south east re-entrant angle. Shaped skews;
Interior: plain boarded dado, vaulted roof and pews.
Octagonal pulpit. Leaded 3-light chancel window undated.
Early stone font on modern base.
Quadrangular churchyard enclosure with ashlar-coped
rubble-built walls, gate at either end of south wall: square
rusticated ashlar gatepiers; hearse house to south east of
church. Square-plan rubble-built, crenellated burial
enclosure against south wall of church with 1655 armorial
panel: armoured male effigy in re-entrant angle: some good
17th-19th stone monuments.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.