Composite L-plan house probably incorporating tower house at
west; present form established probably first half 18th
century; some windows enlarged early 19th century, and
interior re-modelled circa 1880 by James Barbour; further
alterations by J M Bowie circa 1915. House faces south west;
3 storeys; whitewashed rubble with red ashlar margins;
regularly placed small-paned sash windows. Stair turret in
re-entrant angle with small windows, blocked door and
shallow-pitched roof; main door alongside (by Bowie -
replacing Barbour's porch) in east range with crest above, 2
bays beyond. West range extends one bay from stair turret and
is blank at ground; small, low ground floor (bar) windows to
north west elevation, fire escape against south east gable.
Stair windows (by Barbour) at rear above modern function
room, and outbuildings, latter 2 storeys 3 bays with T-plan
roof and now linked with house. Corniced stacks; slate roofs.
Interior: turnpike stair in turret; wooden stair by Barbour
to rear above ground floor (lower part presumably removed
when function room was built); irregular narrow corridor
between 2 ranges runs length of house; some decorative 19th
century plasterwork in east range; barrel-vaulted ceiling of
bar is dummy at north end at least. Square gatepiers
(presumably by either Barbour or Bowie) have projecting caps
with engaged ball finials; curved, low quadrant walls with
spiked cast-iron railings; gates similar.
Statement of Special Interest
Home of Grierson of Lag, "Lag the persecutor" (Scott's
Stone table on lawn to west, dated September 1720, said to
have been a marriage stone.
Sketch by W C Aitken in Dumfries museum shows present bar
(then kitchen) without vault at north end (copy of sketch in
Fergusson, THE LAIRD OF LAG, 1886, notes on p.121 a sasine of
Rockhall dated 1.5.1610 which mentions "all and haill the
place of Rockhall laitlie biggit be the said Sir William"
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.