1794; alterations and additions 1876-78. T-plan church; comprised of rectangular-plan church of 1794, with jamb adjoined to N, 1876-78 vestry adjoined to W, probably 1876-78. Washed rubble. Squared granite and some sandstone quoins and rybated margins. Red sandstone cornice and blocking course to porches. Mainly round-arched windows, some square-headed windows. Small-pane glazing in sash and case windows; clear glazing, except coloured textured glazing in 2 windows at centre to S elevation. Boarded doors. Granite coped skews. Small granite ball finials to apices of gableheads to N and E. Slightly graded grey slates, variegated with purple slate repairs. Several small rooflights.
N (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: round-arched window to outer left and right. Gabled jamb advanced at centre. Square porch at centre to N, with round-arched window above, and tall round-arched windows flanking to left and right; porch with door to E, and window to N. Forestair to full-height square porch to E return; porch is rubble at ground floor, washed brick at 1st floor; porch with door to N, and window to E at gallery level; plain iron handrail and red sandstone steps to forestair. Small window to right to W return. Wide flight of red
sandstone steps, with plain iron handrails, up to entrance of N porch and to forestair.
E ELEVATION: detached forestair of full-height square porch at centre; forestair with granite steps, granite coped solid stone balustrade to E and plain iron handrail to W; porch with door to E, small diamond-paned window to S at gallery level, and door to N and small window to S at ground floor. Windows to left and right at gallery level, each with blocked area below.
S ELEVATION: 4 regularly spaced round-arched windows. Massive square crenellated buttress at centre; rubble with red sandstone gabletted merlons and coping; small rendered and slate-roofed lean-to boiler house adjoined to E return, with tall rendered stack in re-entrant angle; door to S, with low concrete-coped rubble wall concealing steps down to door.
W ELEVATION: piend-roofed vestry adjoined at centre and right; fanlit door to left to N; window at centre to W. Forestair to square porch to right, with porch partly incorporated in vestry at ground floor; quarter-turn forestair with granite steps and granite coped solid stone
balustrade to S; rendered porch with fanlit door to S. Window at centre at gallery level. Blocked tall opening to left at gallery level. Decoratively coped granite birdcage bellcote at apex of gablehead; red sandstone base supported on granite corbels; bell; surmounted by ball finial.
INTERIOR: painted plaster walls and timber dadoes. Coombed ceiling to main body of church. Coombed ceiling to N gallery, with basket-arch over to E. panelled galleries to N, E and W, each supported on 2 cast-iron columns; fluted pilaster detailing to panelling; organ in
gallery to W. Pulpit at centre to E, with hexagonal sounding-board; flanking Ionic columns and fluted frieze to rear board; brass war memorial (1914-1919) plaque to front panel of pulpit. Stone font. Timber communion table and lectern, Timer pews. Stone corbels below
(not supporting) E and W galleries. Timber vestibule screens at centre to E and W.
GRAVEYARD: large graveyard, extended in 1866 and 1900. 18th, 19th and 20th century monuments. Fine 18th century gravestones. Some tablestones.
GRAVEYARD WALLS: built 1867. Rubble coped rubble walls. Wall to W mutual with Greenmantle Hotel (former Manse) (see separate listing), with outbuilding of Greenmantle Hotel incorporated in wall.
GATEPIERS: pair of dressed granite square gatepiers, with stepped capping and ball finials, to SE; cast-iron 2-leaf gate. Similarly detailed 2-leaf gate to NE. Modern gates to gateway to N. 2 cast-iron lamp standards flanking N gateway within graveyard.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.