Earlier 19th century (pre 1848) reworking of former offices. 2-storey, with 1st floor in attic, asymmetrical gabled house. Small-packed rubble. Squared granite and whinstone quoins. Squared whinstone rybats. Painted projecting cills. Overhanging eaves, with modern timber infill to N and S. Slate-hung gabled dormer windows. Double roof plan.
W (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: 2 broad gabled bays, that to right advanced, forming L-plan. Painted ashlar canted classically detailed porch addition in re-entrant angle; panelled door and 3-pane fanlight to NW; windows to N and W faces, with recessed aprons; slender pane; detail, cornice and blocking course to porch. Gable advanced to right; relieving arch to former carriage entrance, arch blocked with full-length tripartite window in painted ashlar rectangular projection at ground floor; slender pane detail, cornice and blocking course to
projection; window in gablehead. Gable to left; 3-light window at ground floor, with rubble relieving arch over and flanking quoins of former carriage entrance, as of former archway; window in gablehead. Dormer window recessed at centre, on tranverse pitch between gables.
N ELEVATION: gabled porch to right of centre; modern door to left to E; enlarged window to N. Boarded door, with 8-pane fanlight, to left. Window to outer left. Windows flanking porch, very small to right.
4 dormer windows, spaced 1-3.
E ELEVATION: lower piended block adjoined to gable to right; door and window to E; window to N. Gable to left, adjoined to NE of stable block.
S ELEVATION: 6-bay (3-3). Small modern lean-to porch in penultimate bay to right. French window in penultimate bay to left. Windows in remaining bays. 4 dormer windows, spaced 1-1-2. Window in recessed bay to outer right. Variety of glazing patterns; in timber window frames; 8-pane glazing in casement windows at 1st floor; mainly 18-pane glazing in sash and case windows at ground floor to N and S elevations, 16-pane glazing to porch windows; multi-lying-pane glazing in sash and case windows at ground floor to W elevation. Short coped rubble stacks to both gableheads to W and to E; tall wallhead stack to N return of W elevation. Slightly graded grey slates. Octagonal cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
Statement of Special Interest
The form of the arches suggests the original work was by Alexander Stevens, as at the 1794 offices to Monreith House. "Myreton Cottage" is marked as such, converted to residential on the OS Map of 1848. Myrton Cottage was latterly the factor's house for Monreith estate. Monreith Estate Office is adjoined to the north-east of the former stable block to which Myrton Chapel (see separate listing) is adjoined.
See separate listings for Monreith; Monreith House; Ice House; Myrton Castle; Myrton Chapel; West Gateway.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support.